Five facts about Almonds:
- Almond oil is excellent for the skin and almonds build muscle, reduces cravings, fight obesity and can prevent heart disease;
- Almonds make for a good flip side to dairy and is officially the healthiest of all nuts;
- If you plant an almond tree it will be covered in lovely light pink flowers in the late winter or early spring;
- In Greek mythology the almond tree is represented by the beautiful princess Phyllis. Left at the altar on her wedding day, Phyllis waited for years before finally perishing of a broken heart. In sympathy, the gods transformed her into an almond tree, as a symbol of hope. When Phyllis’ fiancée returned to find her as a leafless, flowerless tree, he embraced it and the tree burst into bloom – a demonstration of love not conquered by death;
- Almonds are a Yogi staple and Dharma Yogisare great consumers of Almonds.
Most raw seeds, nuts and beans should be sprouted to reap their maximum potential. Sprouting changes the entire chemistry of the seed, nut or bean, flooding it with the Prana (vital life-force), thus turning it into a mature, healthy plant that is easy to digest.
A sprout is a complete food and can supply the physical body with vital nutrients in promoting life and radiant health. Once seeds and beans are sprouted, they can be placed in direct sunlight for 30-60 minutes. The sprouts then become a green vegetable, a wondrously complete Superfood.
Soak the almond for 12 hours and then rinse every three to four hours for a period of 18 hours. Sprouted almonds should be covered in water and placed in the refrigerator. The water should just cover one half inch over the top of the almonds. Peel the skin off before eating, as it becomes toxic during germination. Enjoy!
Dharma Sun Salute Blend
Add the following ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy:
2 large bananas or 1 avocado
1 cup of sprouted almonds (peeled)
1 to 2 cups of the fresh juice of your choice or rice/soy/almond milk
Agave nectar to taste (the bananas are naturally sweet if ripe so you may find you do not need an additional sweetener)
While making your blend, chant the Mantra for Purification at least three times.
“I said to the almond tree, ‘Friend, speak to me of God,’ and the almond tree blossomed.” ~ Nikos Kazantzakis
Post written by: Enid Johnstone Pictures: Lorenza Pintar
Recipe Source and Sprouting Instructions: The Dharma Yoga LOAY Teacher Training Manual